Tuesday 10 June 2008

Wine and Montreal

Last week, I was in Montreal for three days. Not much time but I looked at some wine stores. Similarly to Sweden, Quebec wine is run by a monopoly, the SAQ. I went to the normal Classique stores but was not impressed, a poor selection. I also looked at the flagship store, the Selection in Sainte Catherine Street. This shop was on two floors. The first of which was devoted to spirits so I avoided it as soon as possible. The basement contained a nice selection of Bordeaux and some Burgundies but not too much of anything else. It opened up to a Classique store which had some local Quebec wines. The duty-free shop at the aiport has no connection to SAQ and was selling some nice Inniskillin Ice Wines but I had to change planes in Europe so could not bring any back to Sweden.

No comments: